Friday, April 22, 2011

Mythik Science Fiction & Fantasy Soundtrack

Back by popular demand!  No, I'm kidding; this is the very first time for the Mythik Science Fiction & Fantasy Soundtrack:


It's an eclectic playlist (we used to call them mix-tapes) of songs to write by.  A sort of soundtrack to an emerging story.  Or, it could even be a soundtrack to read by.

I am not one those music experts who can tell you who the second drummer was is every band since the dawn of time.  I'm also not a music snob, and I don't care if you make fun of my eclectic collection.  I bet you may not have heard of some of them, though.

Most of these songs were imprinted on my youthful brain sometime in the last century.  You know, like when there was still a "record" section in the music store.  Umm, when there were such things as music stores.  Even then, I was high-tech, because I listened to cassettes on a Walkman.  It was kind of like an old-fashioned iPod that only held a few songs at a time and took forever skip ahead to the next song.  It also tended to eat tapes a lot.

I like making soundtracks to my stories as I write, and sometimes the correlation between story and music isn't obvious.  Sometimes I don't even understand what the connection is, but it definitely is there.

The Amazon player widget thingy doesn't always play the best parts of the song, and for easier reference here is the playlist to my Mythik SF/Fantasy Soundtrack:

Children Of The Sun - Billy Thorpe
Skullbucket - Southern Culture On The Skids
Night Boat - Duran Duran
Why Me? - Planet P Project
Supernature - Cerrone
Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult
Sausalito Summernight - Diesel
Blue Highway - Tony Carey
Another Heart Breaks - ELO
For A Few Dollars More - Ennio Morricone

What kind of music do you like to listen to when you write or read? Or do you prefer the sound of silence instead?

2 comments:

  1. Depends on my mood. My novels have theme songs and if I feel stuck, I'll listen to one. Sometimes it helps me get unstuck.

    I'm quite fond of Elvis Costello, Muse, the Cure and Radiohead, to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a pretty good music list, M Pax. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete