Sunday, October 30, 2011

NaNoWriMo Oh No!

I have officially decided to do the NaNoWriMo thing. If you haven't heard of NaNoWriMo (I hadn't until recently,) it is sort of a competition where the goal is to write a novel in one month. So, it is NAtional NOvel WRIting MOnth. Get it? In this case, the goal is 50,000 words. The competition is with yourself, and if you achieve the goal, you win! It's not exactly going to be easy adding to an already busy schedule, but what the heck, right? It should be fun. If anybody wants to add me as a buddy, here is my NaNoWriMo page.

So what shall I write about? Hmm. How about a down and out princess who goes on the road to find adventure in a mystical magic land? It's a strange place where pirates are good guys and dragons talk with funny accents and magic spells are obsolete almost as soon as they are created. There will be plenty of daring do, with swords and sorcery and punks who don't follow any of the Wizard Guild's rules. We'll see all this and more, in The Land of Lor.


Of course, all that might change once the real writing begins ;) But I do have a bunch of characters and the setting and a lot of story ideas. The genre is going to be Epic Fantasy Sword & Sorcery Magipunk. So, take that, Genre Police!

The Land of Lor is actually something I've had in my head for a long time. So this is the perfect time for it to fully come out. I even have a map of Lor I drew, umm, too long ago. All I have to do is weed out all the dumb parts and come up with an exciting story. That's all, ha ha.

I'm going to construct it like a movie. It will have three acts and twelve chapters. Three chapters for Act 1, six chapters for Act 2, and three chapters for Act 3. At about 5,000 words per chapter, the total will be around 60k words. So, lets say by the end of November I'll have 50k words and "win" NaNoWriMo. Then another month for rewrites and the last 10k words. Then another month for more rewrites. Then a month of editing and polishing. That puts the release date at March 1st. Mark your calendars!

Lor is a pretty big world with lots of history and people and places, so there's a ton of story material there. The first book will be self contained, but will also be the beginning of a three part series. All told, there will eventually be a trio of trilogies.

So, there ya have it. So it is written so shall it be done, ha ha. Now I better get back to revising Mythik Imagination #2, since the NaNo thing starts in a couple of days. I figure the Mythik Imagination series will be good breaks from the novel and #3 will have a short story from the Lor universe.

Stay tuned for NaNo updates right here. It should be a fun ride :)

Is anybody else out there doing the NaNo thing?

2 comments:

  1. Well, you know I'm there! I did about 2,000 words today too.

    All of my novels end up being over 100k, so I decided not to try one for NaNo, but I have quite a bit going on in the plot of this novella so it might just creep up to 30-40k, and then I can throw in a short (or not-so short) story to finish the 50k. I know, lots of ambition for Day 1. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, Day 1 is the perfect time for ambition! You could always double the daily target and have 100k by the end ;)

    ReplyDelete